In 1909, Adolph Mallinger was elected as City Marshal. This was the first year that political party affiliation was listed for the candidates. Under the changes in the charter adopted at this time, Mallinger was the first listed to have the title of Chief of Police. The City Marshal position was no longer a political office voted on in the March elections. Instead, the city council appointed the Chief of Police.