Minimum Heating Requirements

City of Owatonna Minimum Housing Code

Rental property in the City of Owatonna must comply with the requirements of the Owatonna Minimum Housing Code. The code does address heating requirements for rental property. Find more information in Chapter 151, Section 11 of the Minimum Housing Code.

Heating facilities shall be turned on and maintained at a minimum temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit between October 1 and May 1.

Tenants who are having problems with the heat in their rental unit should take these steps:

  • Contact your landlord or maintenance company to inform them that you are having problems with heat in your rental unit.
  • The property owner must be made aware of the problem and be allowed reasonable time to correct the problem.
  • If the property owner does not correct the problem, contact the Owatonna Fire Department at 507-444-2454. A fire department inspector will inspect the property and, if necessary, write compliance orders to correct the problem.

How to Protect & Reconnect Your Heat

Minnesota State Law

The Cold Weather Rule - Minnesota Statute, Chapter 216B - governs disconnection policies of residential heating sources from October 15 through April 15. All natural gas and electric utilities must follow some level of the Cold Weather Rule. If you need electricity to keep your heat on, you may apply for Cold Weather Rule protection with your electric company.

  • Delivered fuels such as fuel oil, propane and wood are not covered by the CWR.
  • Contact your utility and request a Cold Weather Rule payment arrangement.
  • You must make and keep a payment arrangement with your utility to receive CWR protection. The payments do not need to be the same each month. 
    • This applies to all residential customers, including senior citizens and families with young children. If you make and keep a CWR payment plan, you are protected until April 15.
  • If you can't make your scheduled payment, contact your utility immediately to discuss a different arrangement. If you do not make your payments, your service may be shut off.
  • To be eligible, the combined income from all members in the household is at or below 50% of the state median income, you are not required to pay more than ten percent of your household income. 
    • Above 50% of the state median, you can still make payment arrangements with your utility.
  • Tenants can contact the Energy Assistance Hotline for assistance at 800-657-3710.

For more information, visit the Public Utilities Commission.