Grading Permit Information
All Single-Family Residential Construction and Any Project Disturbing 5,000 square feet or more, within the City of Owatonna are required under the Stormwater Management Ordinance to obtain a Grading / Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) Permit from the Engineering Department. The city will review all grading plans to ensure that there is proper site drainage, and that appropriate erosion and sediment controls are in place to prevent pollutants from leaving the construction site.
Contractors are responsible for scheduling the initial inspection with the City, prior to the start of construction, to verify the necessary stormwater pollution prevention best management practices are in place. Contractors are also responsible for scheduling the final inspection to verify proper stabilization exists following project completion. Email the stormwater division to schedule all inspections.
Construction Site Inspection Form (PDF)
- Grading/ESC Permit Process - Residential Sites (PDF)
- Engineering Design Standards - Residential (PDF)
- Foundation Elevation Certification (PDF)
Sites 1 Acre or part of Common Plan Development
- Grading/ESC Permit Process - Commercial & Industrial Sites (PDF)
- Engineering Design Standards - Commercial (PDF)
- MS4 Review Documentation Template (PDF)
Projects are required to submit an as-built drawing prior to permit close out and issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy.
Post Construction Stormwater Requirements
- Engineering Design Standards - Post Construction (PDF)
- Permit Close Out Guidance (PDF)
- Post Construction Stormwater Guidance (PDF)
- Stormwater Facility Maintenance Agreement Draft (PDF)
Grading/ESC Permit Close-out
Grading/ Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) Permit Fees
|Size of Disturbance||Permit Fee|
|Single family residential / townhome||$150|
|5,000 square feet to 0.5 acres||$150|
|More than 0.5 acres to 1 acres||$250|
|More than 1 acre to 5 acres||$300|
|More than 5||$350|
Additional Review and Stormwater Inspection Fees
|Foundation elevation certification plan resubmission||$300|
|Major changes resubmission and review||$100|
|Repeat non-compliant construction site inspection (SWPPP)||$100|
|Repeat non-compliant permanent treatment system inspection||$100|
|Repeat non-compliant illicit discharge inspection||$100|
Notice: Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed until all documentation has been submitted.